A COA (Clean, Oil, Adjust) is considered yearly maintenance that should be done on every flute to keep it playing in top shape and prevent unnecessary wear and tear.
Every repair begins with a free, exhaustive inspection to determine the best course of action. While we can do our best to discuss the necessary work over the phone with you, we won’t be able to make an exact estimate until we inspect your instrument.
What We Do
- Disassemble the keys and clean off the old oil
- Hand polish all the mechanism, body, and headjoint, removing as much of the tarnish as possible
- Inspect the pads for tears and clean them
- Any torn pads are replaced.
- Reassemble the mechanism with fresh oil
- Check the instrument for pad or adjustment leaks
- The key height is then adjusted to get rid of any lost motion
- The headjoint cork is inspected for a tight seal and replaced if necessary
- Finally, we check the case for wear to insure a proper fit for the safety of the flute
|Handmade Flute COA||$425|
|Pro Pad Replacement||$60/pad|
|Intermediate Flute COA||$275|
|Intermediate Pad Replacement||$30/pad|
An Overhaul is required on your flute anywhere between 8-10 years, depending on the amount of time played and the frequency of COAs. A professional who plays and teaches 8 hours a day would require an overhaul much more frequently than a hobbyist who plays 30 minutes a week. Past 10 years, the pad skins become brittle and tear easily, making repair impossible.
An overhaul includes a COA, repadding, plus the following.
What We Do
- All felts and corks are removed
- All solder joints are carefully inspected
- Posts and post faces are checked and realigned
- Steels are inspected for straightness and straightened
- Steels and pivot screws are fit
- The mechanism is swedged to remove any side to side play
- Keys are polished to return them to a fine lustre and remove minor scratches
- Normal body dents are removed and the body is hand polished. Machine polishing is available by request.
- Springs are inspected
- New felts and corks are glued in place
- New pads and adjustments are installed
- Headjoint and foot joint tenons are fit
- Headjoint cork is replaced
|Handmade Flute Overhaul||$1999|
|Muramatsu Lotus Pad Conversion||$500|
|Intermediate Flute Overhaul||$750|
|Intermediate Overhaul With Straubinger Phoenix Pads||$900|
|Additional body work||$100/hour|